Saturday, February 26, 2011


Today my mom would have been 57.
This is one of my last "happier" photos with her.
When we first learned her cancer was back.
When we thought she'd beat it like she had a couple years before.


It was less than 3 months later we were told the chemo had been ineffective,
and there was nothing else that could be done.
A month later my mom was gone.

That was just over 2 years ago.

I had planned to do something today.
Something to remember mom...
but I spent most of today a bit numb.
The other day, I was talking to one of my girlfriends and we agreed it almost gets worse with time.
The longer you go without them, the more real it becomes...
and you realize they're really not coming back...ever.

What I've learned in these 2 years is that the grief process isn't as simple as you want it to be...
It's not a checklist.
It can feel like you're going in circles
and that's okay.
I learned it's normal.
I really was beginning to think something was wrong with me because I wasn't "over it".
And now I realize I never will be.
She was my mom.

I know she's in better place.
She's happy.
And that helps.
But I still miss her.

Hug your loved ones.
Do your best not to take it all for granted.

xo

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry hunny for the loss you are experiencing..
    You must have such beautiful memories to treasure of her.
    Its so good that you have friends to share this with...
    Ill be remembering you today dear and lifting you before my Lord for the comfort that only He can give and that He will wrap Himself around you with His tender love.
    He loves you so Julie and understands every hearts cry and desire you have.
    I love you too...xo

    Deborah xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i too, am sorry for the loss of your mother. my heart aches for you. thank you for this post. i have a couple of friends who have just lost loved ones and are still in the process of grieving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came by to say thanks for stopping by threesisterz and I was really touched by this post. I'm an oncology nurse and unfortunately I meet families like you all too often. I wish you all peace and continued healing. -Molly

    ReplyDelete